Friday, November 28, 2008

Journal: Day 396

It has been three months since I ended Richard, making this thirteen months since the killing started. Now clearly past the one year mark, I have to start preparing to survive long-term on my own. Richard was my safety net and I his. I worry I’ll trip, hit my head, and wake up at night surrounded by the dead. Short of wearing a helmet everywhere, I need to prepare for worse case scenarios. Jogging, staying fit, having the spare food, beartraps, and so on can only do so much.

A hurricane hit, category 5. It devastated the Texas and Louisiana coast. Then there were reports of mass violent crimes. Violent crimes led to horror stories that the dead were walking the earth in the devastated areas. People just blew it off as horror stories formed from the mass looting and crimes. Then the dead hit the national guard. Domestic defense had to be regrouped, but by then it was hitting Wisconsin, Nevada, and Virginia. It crossed the oceans and that was the last I’ve heard of anything.

The dead’s numbers were massive. The first seven months were a nightmare of unending. We had to fight and burn our way through. Eventually, we covered our tracks to the tower with chemicals to throw off the smell. That gave us time to set up the beartraps. After the first seven months, we went from worrying about the dead to worrying about supplies. The next two we lost people trying to get supplies, fighting over them, and lack of any sign of society outside of us led to more than a few suicides among the only survivors. Eventually, it was just me and Richard.

Now it has been a month of just me, Kurt Conklin, the only living resident of Nacogdoches, TX, staying at the Garner Apartments, the tallest structure in the town. Every day, after my jog, I stand at the top of the tower and look for any sign of life besides my own. It has been a month of consistently no sign.

No comments: